1. To begin, navigate to the GoCardless for Xero landing page here and click on the Get Started button.
You will be directed to the GoCardless for Xero setup flow.
2. Click on the Connect to GoCardless button in step one to get started
3. Now create your GoCardless account by filling in the required details and then, when you're ready, hit Create account
Note: If you already have a GoCardless account you can instead click the Sign in link at the bottom to connect your existing account.
4. You will now be directed back to Step 2 of the GoCardless for Xero sign up flow
Select to either Connect to Xero or Create Xero Account
(For this example, we will be connecting an existing Xero account).
If you're not already logged into your Xero account, you'll be asked to do so here.
NB: If you have more than one account (e.g. as an accountant, have old accounts etc) there will be a drop down of available Xero accounts available. This is automatically in alphabetical order. You will have an opportunity on the next page to review the account you are signing up with, please check!
5. Confirm you allow the GoCardless for Xero app to access your Xero company data. Click Allow access to continue.
6. Having been directed back to step 3 of the set up flow, now create your login details for your GoCardless for Xero account
... Then hit Submit
Now that your account is created, it's time to configure your settings.
7. In step 4 of the set up flow, select your Xero bank and fee accounts
... Then hit Save
If you signed up to GoCardless earlier in this setup process, you should see a yellow banner appear across the top of your screen advising that you need to complete the GoCardless verification process. This banner will remain until your account has been fully verified.
8. Now choose your mandate setting
Selecting the Automatic setting will ensure that whenever a new customer is added to your Xero account, they will automatically be sent an email requesting authorisation of their Direct Debit with you and/or your business.
If you choose the Manual option, you will instead need to select customers from within your account to manually invite them to set up a Direct Debit with yourselves.
9. The final step is to Choose your payment collection setting
Selecting Automatic will enable the automatic collection of invoices you create for your customers within your Xero account.
Choosing the Manual option will mean you'll need to manually request the collection of each invoice as and when you need to do so.
10. Finally, click Confirm and Get Started!
If you created a new GoCardless account as part of this sign up process, you will be prompted to complete the GoCardless verification process now, or alternatively choose to complete it later.
Please note that GoCardless will not be able to payout any collected funds to you until your account is fully verified.
Once you select an option, you'll be directed to your GoCardless for Xero dashboard homepage.