By inviting your customer to complete a one-time Direct Debit form, you’ll be creating an agreement from their bank account to yours, which gives you the authorisation to collect future invoice payments from them whenever they are due.
If you selected your Direct Debit mandate settings to be automatic when you first setup your account on GoCardless for Xero, you won’t have to follow the steps below for any new customers that you create on Xero from now on. However, you will have to follow these steps to setup a Direct Debit with any existing customers you may have on Xero.
1. Get the link to setup a Direct Debit
Go to the on the GoCardless for Xero dashboard, where you will see a list of your Xero customers. Click on the three dot button, copy the link that appears in the window and send it to your customer via email. If you’ve only just added a customer in Xero it may take up to 5 minutes to appear in the GoCardless for Xero dashboard.
2. Send the link to your customer
If you’re unsure about how to tell your customers why they should set up a Direct Debit, . Here’s also an email template you can use to message your clients:
Direct Debit via GoCardless is now our preferred payment method. We think you’ll find it easier to pay through GoCardless, and it helps our business too. We’ll be saving hours of time each week managing our payments which we plan to reinvest into continually improving our service to you.
All you need to do to get started is enter your details online here:
[enter link to Direct Debit signup page].
How paying by Direct Debit benefits you:
- Unlike with other payment methods, you won’t have to remember to make future payments: as soon as [your invoice due date is reached/ subscription fee is due], we’ll collect payment straight from your pre-agreed bank account.
- GoCardless is the UK’s leading Direct Debit provider, processing over £5 billion in payments annually for more than 30,000 organisations including Thomas Cook, The Guardian and HM Government.
- You’ll be notified before each payment is taken and your payments are protected, so you’re guaranteed a refund if a payment was ever taken in error. Read more on:
If you have any questions, you can find out more details on the GoCardless website or get in touch with us on [phone number].
All the best, [Name and Company]
3. Your customer sets up a Direct Debit
Once your customer clicks on the link, they will see the form below. They need to submit it so the Direct Debit is setup.
4. Check that your customer has set up a Direct Debit
Once your customer completes the form above, we will notify you via email. If you don’t receive this notification, you can assume that your customer is yet to set up their Direct Debit. If this happens, we recommend sending a reminder email to your customer.
5. Automate Direct Debit for future customers
Automated Direct Debit mandates allows you to automatically request every new customer you create on Xero to setup a Direct Debit. If you haven’t automated Direct Debit mandates, you can do that by changing your mandate settings in the page in the GoCardless for Xero Dashboard. To activate the automation, click on the “Automatically email new customers” and after that click the “Save changes” button.