This article will explain the benefits and process for handling some customer notifications yourself, rather than GoCardless sending out our standard notifications.
Note: This feature is only available to merchants on our Pro package and partner integrators. If you're using this feature as a partner, you can control notifications for any merchant that is connected to your partner app, irrespective of the merchant’s package.
All notifications will need to be approved by GoCardless before this feature can be enabled on your account.
You can find the technical information relating to this feature in our developer documentation.
- For Pro merchants building their own integration refer here
- For partners who want to handle notifications refer here
- API reference here
Benefits of handling customer notifications
Handling customer notifications yourself allows you to create a more seamless and branded process for your customers. Examples where this might be useful include:
- You can combine welcome emails with mandate set up notifications
- You can send one notification detailing the schedule of all upcoming payments for a customer, rather than having GoCardless send out an email each time a payment is created for the customer
Notifications that you can handle
There are two types of notifications that can be handled through this feature:
- Mandate created (i.e. “a mandate has been created”)
- Payment created (i.e. “a payment is due to be collected”)
The above notifications can be handled for any of the following schemes:
- Bacs - GPB payments
- SEPA - Euro payments
- BECS - A$ payments
Getting approved to handle notifications
In order to handle customer notifications, your account or app will need to be enabled for this by the GoCardless team. To start the process of getting enabled, get in touch with our support team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you would like to test the functionality on your sandbox account, please provide us with:
- The email address of your sandbox account (or app ID for partners)
- Which notification types you'd like to test
- Which scheme(s) you'd like to test
If you would like to have the functionality enabled for your live account, please provide us with:
- The email address of your live account (or app ID for partners)
- Which notification types you'd like to be enabled for
- Which scheme(s) you'd like to handle notifications for
- An example of the notification you'd send for each notification type and scheme combination that you'd like to be enabled for. Requirements for these can be seen here.
We will then reviewed your notification templates and let you know if any changes are needed before enabling the functionality on your account.
What happens once you've been approved
Once you have had confirmation that you have been approved for sending specific notifications, you will start seeing the following additional information in the webhook body for the events in question (mandate created and/or payment created):
- Notification ID
- Mandatory flag
Then, before the deadline you must respond to our webhook, letting us know that you are going to handle the notification. If you do not respond before the deadline, then GoCardless will send our standard notification for the event.