In this guide, we'll show you how to set up customers to pay through GoCardless in three quick steps.
1. Invite a customer
By inviting your customer to complete a one-time Direct Debit form, you’ll be creating an agreement from their bank account to yours, which gives you the authorisation to collect future invoice payments from them whenever they are due.
In order to do this, go to the Customers page on Quickbooks and click the checkbox next to the customers you’d like to set up a Direct Debit with. Then click “Batch actions” and you’ll see a menu with different options, click on the option “Set up Direct Debit”.
You’ll now be able to view and edit the email template that you’re about to send to your customer.
On the right hand side of the screen you’ll be able to view the Direct Debit form your customer will be asked to complete after they click “Set up Direct Debit”.
Edit the email template to include your custom message, then click send. If you’re unsure about how to tell your customers why they should set up a Direct Debit, .
Here’s an email template you can use to message your clients:
Direct Debit via GoCardless is now our preferred payment method. We think you’ll find it easier to pay through GoCardless, and it helps our business too. We’ll be saving hours of time each week managing our payments which we plan to reinvest into continually improving our service to you.
All you need to do to get started is enter your details online by clicking “Set up Direct Debit”
How paying by Direct Debit benefits you:
- Unlike with other payment methods, you won’t have to remember to make future payments: as soon as [your invoice due date is reached/ subscription fee is due], we’ll collect payment straight from your pre-agreed bank account.
- GoCardless is the UK’s leading Direct Debit provider, processing over £5 billion in payments annually for more than 30,000 organisations including Comic Relief, The Guardian and HM Government.
- You’ll be notified before each payment is taken and your payments are protected, so you’re guaranteed a refund if a payment was ever taken in error. Read more on:
If you have any questions, you can find out more details on the GoCardless website or get in touch with us on [phone number].
All the best, [Name and Company]
2. Your customer fills in a one-time Direct Debit form
Once your customer clicks on the link, they will see the form below. They’ll need to complete & submit in order to setup the Direct Debit. This completed form will allow you to collect payments from your customer whenever they are due. Your customer will be notified before every payment is taken.
3. Check that the customer has set up a Direct Debit
Once your customer completes the form above, we will notify you via email. If you don’t receive this notification, you can assume that your customer is yet to set up their Direct Debit. If this happens, we recommend sending a reminder email to your customer.