In order for merchants using Bacs, the UK’s Direct Debit scheme, to take payments from payers, each payer must complete an authorisation, known as a mandate.
When a merchant switches to GoCardless from another Direct Debit provider, we are required to transfer active payers' mandates over to us from the previous provider. The transfer process is known as a bulk change.
IMPORTANT: The bulk change process takes 4-6 weeks to complete. External restrictions mean that we are not able to speed up this timeframe.
There are 5 steps involved in the bulk change process
Before you begin this process, we recommend getting in touch with one of our Sales team on firstname.lastname@example.org, if you haven’t done so already.
1. Complete the bulk change deed
- Email email@example.com letting us know you’re ready to begin the bulk change process
- We will provide you with a bulk change deed for you to complete. You will need to print and sign the deed, and then email a scanned copy back to us.
- The process of completing the bulk change deed differs depending on how your Service User Number (SUN) is currently managed.
2. Agree a bulk change date
- The bulk change date will be finalised with your GoCardless contact according to your requirements, but will be scheduled between 4-6 weeks from the beginning of the process
- On the bulk change date, your previous Direct Debit provider will cancel your existing customers' mandates, and the option will be enabled in your GoCardless account to upload your customers' details to the GoCardless system (see step 5).
3. Notify your customers that you’re moving to a new Direct Debit provider
- You are required to inform your customers in writing of your change in provider in advance of your agreed bulk change date
- Notice can be provided via post or email, and GoCardless will provide you with a template message to use
4. Confirm in writing to GoCardless that you’ve notified your customers
Email us to confirm that all customers have been notified
5. Upload your existing customers' details into your GoCardless account
- You'll need to upload your customers' details into your GoCardless account
- The CSV template you'll need for this can be provided by your GoCardless contact in advance of your bulk change date. You can also obtain it via your GoCardless dashboard (see support article mentioned in previous point).
- Your bulk change deed must be completed and approved before you're able to begin this step
If you are bulk changing from an FM bureau where you do not own & maintain your own Service User Number (SUN), your current bureau needs to complete the bulk change deed. You should contact your bureau when your GoCardless representative advises you to do so.