In this article you'll learn about retrying failed payments.
- Failed payments are not retried automatically
- Payments can be retried a maximum of 3 times
When a payment fails, we will indicate the reason as well as a short description of its cause. There are 3 main types of failures:
- The payment has failed and can be retried: this normally happens when there is insufficient funds in your customer's bank account or when a "refer to payer" error was received.
- The payment has failed along with the mandate: you should contact the customer to set up a new mandate.
- The payment has been disputed by the customer: you should contact the customer to understand why they contested. You should only create a new payment once the dispute is resolved.
Where it's possible to retry a payment, you'll see a "Retry" button in the top-right corner of the payment status page. If you click this button, we'll re-submit your payment immediately. You'll see a new charge date and you can follow the status of the retried payment in the payment timeline.
The following table shows a list of possible payment failure errors and an explanation for what the error message means: