If you use a partner application with GoCardless, you should first check whether the partner you use supports intelligent retries. Our article here gives you the details.
GoCardless can automatically retry any payments that fail. Our intelligent retries feature means that you can choose the settings that work best for you, and within those bounds, GoCardless will use its vast history of payments data to predict the best days to retry to optimise successful collection of the payment.
To switch on intelligent retries within your account:
1. Click on Success+ in the left hand menu bar
2. Select Set up a retry schedule
3. Next you will have the option to choose which currencies to turn automatic retries on for. This feature is currently available for Bacs (GBP payments), SEPA (Euro payments), BECS (AUD payments), BECS NZ (NZD payments), PAD (CAD payments), and ACH (USD payments) with more currencies coming soon. Click the toggle next to the currency you wish to enable.
4. Once you have toggled it on, you will be able to select the settings for how many times you'd like to retry payments and for how long. The default configuration, and what we suggest for the best results, is 3 retries within a 4 week period. With this configuration, we've seen results of up to 76% successful recovery.
You can also choose to enable a failure filter which will prevent retries if the likelihood of the payment failing is very high (90% or higher). You can find more information about this feature here.
5. Once you're happy with your settings, click Next
6. You will see a confirmation screen with the settings you have chosen. Click Edit if you are not happy with the settings, or Confirm to continue
7. If you use GoCardless through one of our partner connected apps, or the API you will need to take the final steps that are shown on the next screen. If you only use the dashboard, you are ready to go, click on Back to dashboard to finish
8. If you would like to change your retry settings in the future, just head to the Success+ tab and click on Manage retry settings