The following information is for customers who have signed up to use their own custom notifications to inform their clients of details about their bank debit status and payment collections.
Due to the pull-based nature of bank debit, most regions globally have strict scheme regulations requiring clients (payers) to be notified :
- To confirm the setup (authorisation) allowing payments to be collected from their bank account by the receiving business or organisation
- In advance of all single payments due to be collected from their account, or prior to the start of any recurring payment subscriptions
Custom notifications ensure you have full control over your clients’ onboarding and in-life experience with your product and/or service by ensuring that all communications they receive regarding their payments are fully coherent with your brand.
Furthermore, you can choose to send these notifications either as standalone or along with other messages you would normally send your clients as part of their wider experience.
Examples of combining notifications with other messaging include :
- Authorisation confirmation : This notification could be incorporated within a welcome email that you would normally send your clients upon signup
- Payment notification : This notification (i.e. its wording) could be included within the invoice you send your client
The setup process
Step 1 : Design your own notifications
You will need to design templates for each of the notifications you'll be sending, ensuring that they contain all the required information. Details of the requirements for each region can be found via the following links :
- United Kingdom (Bacs)
- United States of America (ACH)
- Australia (BECS)
- New Zealand (BECS NZ)
- Eurozone (SEPA)
- Canada (PAD)
- Sweden (Autogiro)
- Denmark (Betalingsservice)
The degree of flexibility on the notifications you can send depends on how you are using GoCardless to collect payments. See the following table for more details.
|API integration||Connected application||GoCardless dashboard|
|Option to either:
1. Fully disable GoCardless’ notifications, or
2. Send only one of the required types of notifications [see here]
|Options vary depending on the application you're using. Speak to our support team to clarify the level of customisation available to you.||Fully disable GoCardless’ notifications and send all notifications yourselves.|
Step 2 : Get your notification templates approved
Once you've completed the design of your notifications, our team will need to approve them. Share templates or copies of them with our Onboarding team, and include an outline of how you will be sending these messages.
If necessary, we’ll provide you with feedback on any amendments (in terms of content) that you'll need to make. (If this is the case, you'll need to re-share them for approval once updated).
Once approved, the GoCardless-hosted client notifications will be disabled on your account and you can begin sending your own notifications.